International students have? to apply online for their Visa Approval Letter (VAL) through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) . It advisable student to apply VAL ?minimum 6 weeks before your registration date.
International students who wish to study full-time at any educational institution in Malaysia must apply for a Student Pass. This is a requirement of Regulation 13 of the Immigration Regulations 1963.
- International students?MUST?apply and obtain the approval to study in Malaysia?before?entering Malaysia
- Conversion of an existing Social Pass (Tourist Visa) to Student Visa is?strictly?not allowed
As an international student studying in Malaysia you will be granted a student pass and visa for a year (or part of a year), depending on the country which issues your passport. You are personally responsible for the timely submission of the documents to obtain your student visa.
All new application for Visa applications is managed by?Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS)?prior of submission to Malaysia Immigration Department.
HOW TO APPLY FOR VAL?
- VISA APPROVAL LETTER (VAL)?APPLICATION GUIDE [Download]
- DECLARATION OF HEALTH STATUS
- COUNTRIES GRANTED VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA) FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS
- LOE, NOC & NOL (Iran,Sudan & Oman student only)
- PRE-DEPARTURE GUIDE
FAQ on VAL
a. HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE FOR VAL APPROVAL?
b. I’M NEW STUDENT HAD COMPLETED REGISTRATION. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKES FOR STUDENT PASS ENDORSEMENT FROM IMMIGRATION?
Note: If student exit Malaysia (for any reason) after registration without complete the student pass endorsement, your VAL and SEV will be VOID. You have to re-apply again new VAL and do the same process if you required to obtain for student pass in future.
c. WHAT’S THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN VAL AND SEV?
Single Entry Visa (SEV) is a stamp/sticker in your passport issued by the Malaysian Embassy in your home country after you submit your VAL for travelling to Malaysia. SEV can only apply after you have received your Visa Approval Letter (VAL).? After applying SEV, it valid for 3 month for travelling to Malaysia. Student have to plan to travel to Malaysia within registration period (i.e 1-2 days before registration).
Countries without the Malaysia Representative Office need to obtain Visa on Arrival for Student (VOAS) at VOA counter located at Arrival Hall / Malaysia entry point upon arrival. Check countries granted VOAS at http://www.azuchk.icu/international/visa-approval-letter-val/
d. There is no Malaysia Embassy in my country, how to apply SEV?
Kindly refer to the Immigration Department’s website for the SEV requirement by country. If your country is on the list of countries which require an SEV to enter Malaysia, you can obtain the SEV from any neighbouring country.
More FAQ on VISA??[HERE]
STUDENT PASS ENDORSEMENT
- You MUST submit your passport and documents [list of document] to the UTM International for? student pass endorsement? with in 7 days? after arriving to avoid paying additional charges.
- DO NOT PURCHASE YOUR FLIGHT TICKET? until you have obtained the VAL & SEV approval.
- Student is advised to travel?to Malaysia WITHIN the period of the registration date (as i.e 1 or 2 days before reception date). The Special Pass is given for 30 days only after entering Malaysia.
- International Students will not be allowed to register with the University if you don’t have VAL and SEV.
- Students who have entered Malaysia using Social/Visit? Pass MUST return to their home country and apply for Single Entry Visa (SEV) at the Malaysian Representative Office.
- Students changing from another institution/university WITHIN Malaysia, please contact? email@example.com for variation/progression visa procedures or visit [HERE] for updates on variation/progression. Students transfer from other institution MUST get VAL approval before be allowed to register in UTM
- Accommodation can only be provided to you from?the date of reception. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org for details ( Accommodation is limited and upon availability)
- [Postgraduate student only] Married students MUST enter Malaysia as a single traveler. Dependent pass can only be applied after a student’s pass is issued.
Please contact email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
International students are strongly advised NOT to enter Malaysia before the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) is approved by Malaysia Immigration Department
a. Postponing your Registration
Please take note, it could take four to eight weeks for Malaysian Immigration to approve your Visa application. If you don’t obtain approval in time to begin your studies, you should postpone them to the following semester.
Overstaying is an offense in Malaysian Law. Immigration Department will impose a penalty ranging from?RM1,000 – RM10,000?depending on the duration of your overstay and/or a jail term up to 5 years. You may be blacklisted and deported back to your home country. You can be prohibited to enter Malaysia for a period of time.? UTM will also impose a daily penalty charge for overstayed students. Please renew your student pass 90 days (3 month)? before expiry.
It is compulsory for student to have a valid insurance policy throughout your study in Malaysia. Stay protected all round the clock wherever you are. It is imperative that you monitor the expiry date of your Student Insurance Policy to ensure you are always covered. UTM will advised your insurance on your new application/ renewal.
d. UTM International Student Society (ISS)
Currently UTM we have 18 International Student Society (ISS) will assist International student on their arrival at Malaysia/UTM [HERE]
e. Personal Bond
All higher educational institutions in Malaysia is required to sign a Personal Bond on behalf of the student as prescribed under Regulation 18 of the Immigration Regulations 1963 as a guarantee that the student to whom such as a pass is issued will comply with the provisions of the Ordinance and of any regulations made there under. To comply with this requirement the university requires the student to lodge with the university the said sum for this purpose. The Personal Bond rate is as follows ?[PERSONAL BOND RATE BY COUNTRY]
f. Personal Bond Refund
After graduation (or withdrawal/terminated from studies) student can get refund of your personal bond by completing refund personal bond form. The form can get from Bendahari. Leaving Malaysia without? cancelling your student pass will result in the forfeiture of your Personal Bond deposit by Immigration Malaysia and can cause consequences if student decides to apply to another University or progression within Malaysia.
More FAQ on VISA [HERE]